Friday, August 12, 2011

Preparing for Day 1

I'm not going to lie to you ... I'm scared. Scared to death of a 7 year old and a 5 year old. Scared that on our first day of home-educating, they'll look at me and without words communicate complete disappointment that this isn't the same as what they've already had in public school. That they miss their friends, think I'm not like "the other teachers" they've had, or worse yet - had more fun at School.

I've been in education for a long time and never have I had butterflies prior to a school year starting as I do now. Silly, perhaps. But true.

My husband keeps telling me how great we'll all be ... how I should relax more than I am. And he's probably right. What I haven't been able to communicate is this deeply-rooted fear that I can't pull this off. That my character ... my utter lack of patience and ongoing selfishness ... will cause the whole thing to implode.

But by God's grace, we can try ... and that is enough for me.

The girls are thrilled and keep sneaking into the "schoolroom" to check out their new books. Sit in a donated school desk. Play "school".  I pray the year ahead is everything they imagine it to be, and everything they can't even dream of ...

We're all going to learn so much!


5 comments:

  1. OH, I think I am going to love being "friends" with you! "That my character ... my utter lack of patience and ongoing selfishness ... will cause the whole thing to implode." So real! I honestly don't write about school much at all because I never feel like there are words to describe what we do and how I feel about it. There probably ARE words, but I can never find them! Can't wait to follow along on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen your honesty and transparency as you approach your new endeavors is refreshing and uplifting. You will succeed in both your accomplishments AND any failures as you continue on this journey of life and education with your children. Let God be in the lead and you can do no wrong!

    Sending prayers of support, patience and endurance, knowledge and understanding, but most of all a sense of peace and doing what is right for your kiddos!

    If you need anything at all-- please call upon me. If you need any primary literacy guidance I am right there!

    Have fun--can't wait to see the results!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the biggest fears of a homeschooling parent is letting their kids down in the area of learning. I know I worry about it. All the time, actually. I also worry that any areas that are lacking are a poor reflection on me, since I'm their teacher and I'm supposed to make sure that learning it taking place. But then I remember that we are teaching them all the time, in all areas of their life. That's one of the main roles that God gave us, as parents. So we just carry that over in the academic sense. Yes, there will be days that you will question why you are doing this, is this the right choice, should you just send them back to public school? There will be days when it appears that no learning is taking place, and there is so much frustration that you all will just want to quit. And on those days, you just take the following steps...

    1. Take a break or call it a day from schooling. It's okay to do this! Honest!
    2. Pray and seek the Lord's guidance and direction. Pray for patience and gentleness. Some days you may find that you have to just repeat The Fruits of the Spirit over and over to yourself. All day long. (Been there, done that.)
    3. Call up your next door neighbor and vent, cry, scream, do whatever you need to do, without worrying that she will judge you. Because she won't. Remember, she's right there with you.
    4. Let the frustrations of the school day go. Tomorrow WILL be better. I promise.

    I'm excited to read about your journey here. I'll be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciteing for you! My aunt homeschooled all 4 of her children, and they have all gone on to college. Her daughter (my cousin) now homeschools her 3. You will be great, and there are tons of resources out there for you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ARE - and are going to be - awesome.
    love you,
    the grandmother of your new students

    ReplyDelete